Entry Rules and Submission Requirements for this year’s Grant of $5,000.
Established in 2016, the Bob and Diane Fund supports visual storytelling that documents Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
This annual grant supports the completion, publication, exhibition and/or screening of photography with funding in the amount of $5,000 USD. The grantee will be announced in mid-November during National Caregiver’s Month.
Gina Martin founded this nonprofit in honor of her parents Bob and Diane Martin—high school sweethearts married 49 years. Diane died of Alzheimer’s in 2011 and Bob, her loyal caregiver, died 3 months later.
- Open for submission August 29, 2021.
- The application deadline is October 31, 2021, midnight EST.
- There is no entry fee.
- Submit 250-500 word essay in English describing the project, why this work is important to you and how you see the grant helping you complete the project. Name the file with your initials and proposal at end (ex: GMM_Proposal).
- Submit 15-25 images (black/white or color). Name the file with your initials and number each image at end (ex: GMM_01, GMM_02).
Files: 72dpi, RGB, 3000 pixels on the long side, jpegs, caption each image (do not include photographer’s name in the captions).
- Submit bio and/or CV in English as PDF not to exceed 2 pages. Please be sure to include an email, location, and phone number. Name the PDF file with your initials and Bio at end (ex: GMM_Bio).
- Place essay, images and bio into a ZIP folder labeled with your initials and upload to this Dropbox folder.
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
The application deadline is October 31, 2021, midnight EST.
WHAT IS THE THEME OF THE GRANT?
The project may encompass any angle related to Alzheimer’s disease or dementia – care, treatment, recovery, science, etc.
WHEN WILL THE WINNER BE ANNOUNCED?
The winner will be announced in November (National Caregiver’s Month).
ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS ON HOW THE GRANT MONEY CAN BE SPENT?
The grant money shall be used to finish, publish, exhibit and/or screen the submitted work. Please note that if you live outside the United States, the BDF must withhold 15% for tax purposes.
WHEN WILL THE GRANT WINNER RECEIVE THE FUNDS?
The entire grant will be awarded within two weeks of announcement.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Any photographer, worldwide.
DOES MY PROJECT NEED TO BE COMPLETED BY A CERTAIN DATE?
The grant is intended to support projects through their final stages of publication or exhibition. While a project need not be finalized to receive the funds, it is our intention to review and present the work publicly by July 1, 2022.
WHAT MEDIUM CAN BE SUBMITTED?
Please submit stills images only.
CAN I SUBMIT A DISK, URL OR BOOK FOR CONSIDERATION?
No. The fund will only consider low-res files.
WILL I RECEIVE A NOTICE THAT MY ONLINE SUBMISSION HAS BEEN RECEIVED?
Yes, you will receive an email confirmation within a few days of submission. If you haven’t received an email confirming your submission after a week, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF I WIN THE GRANT, WHAT RIGHTS WILL THE FUND WANT WITH MY IMAGES/VIDEO?
The fund would like to use up to 15 images for promotional use to announce the winning grant and promoting the fund for one year, and archival website rights for B&D Fund only in perpetuity. Any additional use of content would require permission from the artist.
Editor’s Note: This article is a repost with the consent of the authors. Please see here for the original article.